Hello guys, welcome back to the most pleasing receipes web page. If you are looking for interesting Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce recipe, you are now at the correct place. We only provide excellent Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce recipe which will be very easy for you to follow.
We hope you got insight from reading it, now let’s go back to roast duck with braised red cabbage and bread sauce recipe. You can cook roast duck with braised red cabbage and bread sauce using 25 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you do it.
Here are the ingridients that are required to produce a yummy Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce:
- Use 1 (2 kg) of whole duck.
- Use 1/2 of nutmeg.
- You need 1 of orange.
- Take of dried sage.
- Prepare of olive oil.
- Prepare of salt, white and black pepper.
- Get of leftover mashed potato (optional).
- Provide 1 of red cabbage, stem removed and sliced.
- Provide 1 of large red onion, peeled and sliced.
- Provide 3 of apples, peeled and roughly chopped.
- Get 1 clove of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced.
- You need 1/4 of nutmeg, grated.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cloves.
- Get 2-3 tbsp of soft brown sugar.
- You need 3 tbsp of wine vinegar.
- You need 2 tbsp of redcurrant or cranberry sauce.
- Use 600 ml of whole milk.
- Use 50 g of butter.
- Take 1 of onion, peeled and cut in half.
- Provide 6 of cloves.
- Take 1 of bayleaf.
- You need 100 g of white breadcrumbs.
- Get 2 tbsp of double cream (optional).
- Take of salt and white and black pepper.
Ready with the ingridients? Below are the steps on producing Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce:
- The duck and the cabbage take about the same amount of time, and after the first 20 minutes can cook in the same oven. They can also sit a while after being cooked, giving you time to make any accompanying vegetables (like duck-fat roasted potatoes and parsnips) and the bread sauce. So get organised before you begin cooking and prep in advance. Grate the orange zest and nutmeg and mix with a couple of teaspoons of dried sage. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7..
- I had some leftover mashed potato from the day before, and a classic stuffing for roast duck is potato-based, so I thought I'd try it out, but it's completely optional. I mixed it with some dried sage and white pepper and pushed it into the duck's cavity, together with a peeled onion (also optional)..
- Rub a little olive oil over the duck and then sprinkle the nutmeg, orange and sage mixture over the top. Add lots of black pepper and salt. Place in the preheated oven..
- Now put together the braised cabbage, if you're going to be around you can cook it on the stove top, or cook with the duck once the oven has been turned down. Prepare the cabbage, onion, apples and garlic, and in a small bowl mix together the nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and brown sugar, together with some salt..
- Layer a third of the cabbage in the pan or casserole, add a third of the onions, apple, garlic and sugar and spice mixture..
- Repeat the layers until everything is used up, then pour in the wine vinegar (red or white). Dot the top with butter and cover with a tight fitting lid..
- After 20 minutes in the oven at the high heat the duck will need to have some of the fat drained off into a heatproof bowl. Keep this for roast potatoes. Return the duck to the oven and cook on for another 10 minutes, then drain off the fat again if necessary. You can then add a glass of dry vermouth or white wine, or water if you want to, this stops the roasting pan burning and helps the meat juices collect for gravy..
- Return the duck to the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C/Gas 4. Add the cabbage if you're cooking in the oven, or place the pan on a low heat on the stove top. In a small pan infuse the milk for the bread sauce together with the butter, onion, cloves, bayleaf and black and white pepper. Bring slowly to a simmer, then cover and remove from the heat..
- Go for a walk for an hour and a half..
- When the duck is golden and crispy, and the flesh on the thigh is tender when you pinch it, it's done. It can now sit and rest while you prepare your vegetables, and finish the bread sauce. Drain the milk into a clean pan and discard the onion and flavourings. Add the breadcrumbs to the milk and cook over a low heat, stirring from time to time, for 4–5 minutes, then cover and set aside..
- Add the redcurrant or cranberry sauce to the red cabbage and check the seasoning. Make gravy with the meat juices if you wish. Stir in the cream to the bread sauce, transfer to a bowl and add a knob of butter. Serve the duck with the cabbage and bread sauce and vegetables..
A recipe is a good story that finishes with a well done meal. If you find this web page fruitful Sharing this page to your buddies is the deal Hope that your Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Bread Sauce turns your day joyful.